The Home Stretch – We Really are Going to be Debt Free, Aren’t We?

We are in SINGLE DIGITS

Happy 2011, everyone. If your Christmas & New Year’s celebrations were half as fun as ours were, you’ve got to be excited about this year!

Usually I try to write something pithy and poignant when I blog, but I’m just too darned ecstatic to come up with something other than WE’RE ALMOST THERE!

The Wife and I have been busting our butts since the excitement of last October and we have just $4,600 to go until we’re debt-free. That means 90.9% paid off. We are in SINGLE DIGITS, BABY!

The Wife has stepped up her business and is bringing about 25% more home each month and I have taken on a new (third) job as a PR, Marketing and Design consultant for a really exciting start-up. The net result is we have to allocate our time carefully and say “no” to a lot more things.

That may sound constricting, but I have found that once you give yourself the permission to say no to things it really frees you to work and focus on the items you HAVE committed to.

Hopefully that explains why we haven’t been writing as much here on Climbing Out, but also shows why WE ARE ALMOST DONE!!

Take care, everyone. I hope we talk soon,
the Dad

15 Responses to this post.

1. Kathryn's Gravatar

Posted by Kathryn on 01/10/11 at 10:34 am

You are an inspiration!

2. Gramps's Gravatar

Posted by Gramps on 01/10/11 at 11:10 am

We are so proud of all four of you……You have stayed focused on your goal and it is definitely in sight. Yea [climbing out] !!!

3. sharon's Gravatar

Posted by sharon on 01/10/11 at 12:38 pm

YEAH!!!! It won’t be long now!!!! :) !

4. Mysti's Gravatar

Posted by Mysti on 01/10/11 at 1:59 pm

I am so glad you are back! What a way to start off the year….do you have an expected payoff date?

5. Debbie's Gravatar

Posted by Debbie on 01/10/11 at 2:13 pm

Congratulations!!! My husband and I are just starting (BS2), but already feel the stress relief from having our emergency fund in place and using our budget and envelopes on a monthly basis!! Keep up the good work!

6. the Dad's Gravatar

Posted by the Dad on 01/10/11 at 7:36 pm

Thanks, everyone! Mysti, we should be done by March. Twenty-four months after we started baby step 2.

7. Auntie Liz's Gravatar

Posted by Auntie Liz on 01/11/11 at 10:12 am

Awesome. What amazing and inspirational teamwork.

8. debtmaven's Gravatar

Posted by debtmaven on 01/11/11 at 10:10 pm

Way to go! You are working way harder than I am, which is why you are going to be done SO SOON! Major congrats on the hard work. Just don’t forget to keep us updated, even if it’s just every couple weeks!

I guess you didn’t have to go look for a new job, after all.

9. Tonya's Gravatar

Posted by Tonya on 01/15/11 at 5:15 am

Way to go!!!

10. Jennifer's Gravatar

Posted by Jennifer on 01/27/11 at 7:13 am

I just read through your blog from the beginning to current, and wow! You guys are an inspiration, a really hilarious inspiration. My husband and I just started our own journey to debt freedom on Jan. 1 and are making a plan to plow our way through our $23,000 of non-house debt. Thanks for your honesty! Can’t wait to check in and get to read that you’re DEBT FREE.

11. the Dad's Gravatar

Posted by the Dad on 01/27/11 at 1:54 pm

Oh my gosh! The whole blog in one sitting?? I feel like we should apologize to you or something. :)

Thanks for the kind comment and congratulations on starting your journey. How long do you think that $23k will take?

Cheers!

12. Pat's Gravatar

Posted by Pat on 01/28/11 at 4:24 pm

Wow! Congrats! Can you knock that out in the next two months? I also just read your blog from beginning to today’s post and we are just starting the TMM with $34K to pay off. We spend a lot on food and don’t eat out. We just try to eat healthy – lots of fresh veggies/seafood, etc.. So, that is a challenge. Hope we can be where you are in 18-24 months :)

13. Kelsalynn's Gravatar

Posted by Kelsalynn on 01/29/11 at 10:44 am

Oh man, you guys are A-MAZING! Such an inspiration! I can’t wait for your debt free post. It’s going to be epic :)

14. Jennifer's Gravatar

Posted by Jennifer on 02/17/11 at 1:39 pm

Hi again…the $23K consists of two car notes (about $13K combined) + my undergrad student loans (about $10K). Our goal is to have the first car paid off in April and the second in November and then we will attack the student loans! We’re thinking about 18 months to get all three items knocked out. Getting close to owning car #1, free and clean (and paid off 2 years early!!) in two more months!

15. Karyn's Gravatar

Posted by Karyn on 03/15/11 at 11:19 am

Congrats on getting there. I know it has been a lot of hard work.

Respond to this post