Batting One Hundred

Perhaps the idea of living beneath one’s means… seems too weird if you don’t discover the material on your own

Rant Warning.

Are you trying to tell me not everyone wants to hear about living on a budget? Apparently they don’t. Since we started our financial upheaval five colleagues at work have talked money and budgets with me.

I offered all five of them Dave Ramsey’s DVDs to borrow and told them about his Total Money Makeover book.

Perhaps the response is not surprising. All but one returned the DVDs unwatched and that one only watched one of the disks. None bought the book.

“We just don’t have the time.”

Really. Are you freaking kidding me?

These were people who talked about money woes, mortage problems and were going into debt to do something that seemed “really important”… like building a deck.

Before you suggest I was heavy-handed or evangelical about it let me defend myself.  I know what a turnoff a zealot can be. I truly think I was simply honest about our experience with the material and answered questions about how we’re changing our lives.

Perhaps the idea of living beneath one’s means, on paper, on purpose, seems too weird if you don’t discover the material on your own. Perhaps I am just wishing someone had shaken me awake earlier.

So I’ll be a little less quick to offer up the materials and nod & smile a little more. Part of me is disappointed, I think, to not be surrounded by people encouraging each other to climb out. Debt is a personal thing, I guess, and comes with it’s own baggage. Still…

“We just didn’t have the time.”

Wow. Bummer, dude.

the Dad

6 Responses to this post.

1. emma's Gravatar

Posted by emma on 03/16/09 at 12:02 pm

Talking about money can be like talking about religion. I wouldn’t want someone to preach to me if I didn’t invite it, but if I truly want and need it and am ready to hear it, it’s something useful and wonderful. Maybe if someone had tried to shake you awake earlier about your debt, you wouldn’t have been ready to hear it either. Maybe you’d have thought they were being intrusive. Or more likely, maybe their common sense would have clashed with your buried guilt and you’d have done ANYthing to avoid having to face up to it. Ever see someone get cash from an ATM and as soon as the receipt comes out they crumple it without looking at it? I’ve done it in the past. It’s just denial. Had someone tried to uncrumple my receipt and show me the account balances (while I was holding the $100 cash I was about to spend having fun…) I would have felt awful about myself and like the wind was taken from my sails. I think that’s why people didn’t watch the dvd’s or run out and buy the book.

I haven’t said hello yet, but I’m happy to be reading your blog after seeing you guys on the TMMO forums! Good luck to your family and don’t be discouraged!!

2. the Dad's Gravatar

Posted by the Dad on 03/16/09 at 12:19 pm

Emma, I think you nailed it. Money, religion, politics… all potential third rails. I love the atm receipt observation. Thank you for stopping by!

3. Gramps's Gravatar

Posted by Gramps on 03/16/09 at 12:39 pm

It’s attraction not promotion………believe me, those 5 people are watching you, You are really only 5-6 weeks into this whole new way of looking at life and finances….Way too scary for most people…what most people don’t like are two things: CHANGE and the WAY THINGS ARE! But eventually something is going to change….and either you are empowered to manage that change or it happens however it’s going to happen…whether you like it or not.

You have had amazing results so early in the game and you are definitely being moved forward on this new path by an act of providence…..Wait until people ask about your debt and you can say, “What debt? We don’t have ANY debt”…that will get their attention…and one day, in the not too, too distant future, they will say….”Ya but, you still have your mortgage!” And you say, “What mortgage?” Then they will want the discs and the books. You lead by example and believe me you are leading many on your new path…they just don’t know it yet. Enjoy the ride and one day you will be as empowering as Dave Ramsey.

4. the Wife's Gravatar

Posted by the Wife on 03/16/09 at 12:42 pm

emma, I too agree. Like most addicts, you have to hit rock bottom to be ready to fix it. We have and we are. I went to our first FPU class last night. It was explained to us that there would be a “bring a friend” night. I guess we offer it up and see who is interested, but there is no one that I can think that I would assume to be interested enough to come.

5. Danielle's Gravatar

Posted by Danielle on 03/17/09 at 11:54 am

Hi there! Thanks for the comment – I love it when I get them. Thanks for the praise. We are surely working hard but it is worth it to see that debt payoff total go up, up, up. Do you mind if I ask how you found me? I love hearing about random things like that. Also, can I link to your website from ours?

GOOD LUCK! I’ll be checking in on you!! Love your website!

Danielle

6. Trent Hamm's Gravatar

Posted by Trent Hamm on 03/23/09 at 1:14 pm

I totally agree with Gramps. It’s likely that they’ll be watching you to see whether it works or not. Likely, they’re not in dire straits with their own finances, so they don’t see the time investment needed to watch all of the DVDs and read the book as worthwhile. Instead, you’re the test case – if it all seems to work well for you, they’ll pay attention.

Respond to this post